I’ve been up since about 5 this morning. The plan was to go for a long run, but it’s raining and it’s going to rain all day. It’s cold too. I’m making the executive decision to skip it and go tomorrow. The forecast looks better for tomorrow morning anyway.
My son slept at his friend’s last night so the house is still very quiet at almost 7am. The boys had no school yesterday so we had his friend at our house all day. They were outside in the snow, inside playing Lego Star Wars, outside light saber battling and back in to trade Pokemon. This cycle repeated all day. Fun kids!
My husband and I had a nice night. We ran to Whole Foods because I was all out of hemp seeds. Major emergency!! I’ve been using hemp and chia a lot more instead of always doing protein powder in my smoothies. Anyway on our to the register Orlando started smelling those natural soaps. He really liked one so he threw a few bars in the basket. We got in the car and I pulled out the receipt. Those little bars of soap were $12! WTH?! Turns out they were $1.49/oz not $1.49/bar like we both thought. I’m expecting miracles out of this soap.
We left and went to my favorite Esselon cafe for a light dinner and coffee. They have a few vegan options, but their coffee is amazing! I had the vegan split pea soup, a large garden salad and an almond milk latte. Everything was so delicious, but the latte was out of this world.
Work – where do I even begin? Nah I’m not even going to start. I will say one thing though, in my almost 9 year nursing career this is by far the nicest group of people I’ve ever worked with. I have to ask so many questions on a daily basis. Everyone is so helpful, kind and patient. I also deal with this one medical supply company that is superb when it comes to customer service. I seem to get a different person each time I call, but they are all friendly and they truly go out of their way to help. It makes me smile when I talk to nice people.
Some things I’m loving right now:
- this aerolatte frother – strangely I’ve discovered I love unsweetened coffee if I froth the almond milk first. I bought the $2.99 IKEA frother which looks similar, but well you get what you pay for. This one was about $15 with a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon.
- 14 day yoga shred on doyouyoga.com. I’m only a couple of days in, but it’s fun, different and I honestly feel sore the day after the short 10 minute workouts.
- Serial podcast. I finished listening to all 12 episodes in a weekend. It was gripping. I cannot wait for season 2 this year.
- Gratitude journals…Carlos and I started doing this while Orlando was away and now the three of us write something we are grateful and then share it with each other before Carlos goes to bed. It’s a simple way to end the day on a positive note.
- Church! My grandmother just let out a gasp in heaven. Yup me! I’m enjoying going to church. My son is making his first communion in May. Back in the fall we started going to church. Sometimes we don’t go, but we do try to make it either Saturday or Sunday. Although I was raised Catholic and we now belong to a Catholic church I do not identify strongly with that religion. What I really love is the spiritual detachment from the world, our electronics, emotions and the hustle and bustle of life. It’s 50 uninterrupted minutes of time with my family. I do enjoy the story the priest or deacon tells each week. I love shaking hands with the people around me when it is time to give peace. It is uplifting to pray for others. I really like how I feel when I leave.
- 5 minute vegan pancakes. Mother tested, kid approved. I added frozen raspberries. They were so good, easy to add to and quick to make.
- My working bathroom fan and light! After literally years of having to open the window every time we take a shower the fan and light over the shower are finally repaired thanks to a great electrician. Thanks Kimm and Kaye for referring us to Roy!! He had it diagnosed and repaired in less than 24 hours plus he is very nice, on time, honest and fairly priced. It’s really the little things that make me happy.
Time for coffee! Have a great weekend!!