Good morning! It’s about 6am. I’ve been up for a little over an hour. My mornings have been very productive lately. I just finished Day 7 of Yoga Camp with Adriene. She is one of my favorite online yoga instructors. In December I did 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene. I really enjoy her teaching style. The classes are all different and manageable for different levels of yoga.
This morning I read an article about Aspen Dental, a large chain of dental offices that target low income and elderly patients with cleverly marketed advertisements offering free dental exams and discounts on other services. Having worked for the Better Business Bureau, I am well schooled on the mantras “nothing in life is free,” and “if it seems to good to be true, well then it probably is.” However, I have the luxury of amazing dental insurance and the ability to understand clearly what my dentist is telling me so I am able to make an informed decision. This company prays on people who have little money, often don’t speak English, or are so desperate to have their dental problems resolved they are lured in by Aspen’s savvy marketing. The insurance company I work for no longer covers this provider thankfully. I can’t stress to my patients enough don’t agree to anything you don’t understand and always seek a second opinion especially when you’re unclear about the terms of service.
Today is a rather exciting day. I am beginning eCornell’s Plant Based Nutrition Certificate course. There was a generous discount offered around the holidays and I have been eyeing this course for some time. I meet with so many patients that are struggling with illnesses that could be improved if not resolved by changing their diets. I am becoming more confident about sharing information related to the benefits of a plant based diet. I don’t think everyone should become vegan, but shifting the focus from the Standard American Diet to one that offers more fruits and vegetables can only stand to benefit people. I am hoping that the certificate will be the beginning of educational opportunities that will lend credibility to my advice and suggestions for patients who just want to feel better, and are tired of taking so much medication.
- Serial is back! This time it’s about the U.S. soldier, Bowe Bergdahl, who walked off his base in Afghanistan only to be held captive by the Taliban for almost 5 years.
- If you listened to the first season of Serial then you know the subject of that season, Adnan Syed will be allowed a post-conviction hearing that may lead to a re-trial.
- And if you loved the first season of Serial have you listened to Undisclosed?
- I cannot get into the presidential campaign. I just cannot!
- The Alternative Daily was offering a free package of Lucy’s Bru coffee recently so I grabbed it. Remember nothing is free though. I had to pay shipping of course, but I love to try good organic coffee and the shipping was less than what I would pay for any bag of coffee. It’s delicious, but unless there is a sale I probably won’t be buying any more at $18.95 a bag.
- Little by little I am switching my toiletries to products with healthy ingredients. I discovered Annmarie Gianni’s line of products about a year ago and I love everything I’ve tried. My new favorite is the Earth Minerals foundation. It’s light, goes on smooth, and lasts all day. I don’t feel like I’m wearing makeup at all.
I hear Carlos getting up upstairs. Let the morning begin!! Have a great day.