I just returned from a wonderful vacation in Arizona with my family. We traveled to the Scottsdale area for my cousin’s wedding. I plan to write a post or two about our trip. It was my first visit to the southwest and I was blown away. I loved it!
On the plane rides I was able to catch up on blog reading. Carina answered these running questions recently and I thought I would do the same. I am still running despite the miserable winter weather. I actually have a 10 mile race today and some big plans for the year.
1. Would you rather…run with one of your ancestors or your role models?
I would love to run with my great grandfather on my mother’s side. I don’t think he was ever a runner, but I would love to know more about him. He came to this country from Italy as a young man. He was a very kind and gentle man from what I remember. My memories are distant, but I remember going to his house, a three family home he shared with my grandmother and great uncle. He had a big blooming cherry tree in the backyard. I know he was a hardworking immigrant who prided himself on being able to speak English. It would be interesting to hear his thoughts on immigration and stories of his journey by boat to the United States.
2. Would you rather…run a race that is a few hours drive but in a beautiful location or in your city with a short drive?
I love traveling to new, beautiful locations for races. I don’t care to repeat races particularly in my area. Running races has become an opportunity to travel for me and my family.
3. Would you rather…take an ice bath for a half hour or foam roll for a half hour?
I have to be honest, I’ve never taken an ice bath. I do foam roll, not for a half hour, but I would if I had the time.
4. Would you rather…have a black toe nail pulled off or have your entire back chaffed from running and be forced to shower for a hour straight?
The toenail definitely. I chafed under my armpits the other day and it is painful both in and out of the shower. Once the toenail is black it’s dead, gross but dead. I’ve had a couple of black toenails. It really irritates me that doing something good for your body has some really foul side effects. It’s just wrong!
5. Would you rather…spend an extra $100 a month given to you on running/fitness or save it?
I would save it. I’m a saver. However, I suppose I would probably break even given what I spend on races for the year for me, Carlos and Orlando.
6. Would you rather…be known for running the fastest marathon or running the longest distance at one time?
I agree with Carina on this one that I’d rather be known for setting a world record for the fastest marathon. There’s money in that accomplishment!
Though I’m sure running the longest distance comes with it’s own unique notoriety in distance running circles. I’ve grown very curious about running ultra distances.
7. Would you rather…have your medal handed to you by Kara Goucher or Shalane Flanagan?
Oh goodness they are both amazing. I really have no personal bias here. They are friends and training partners. If you are interested you can read about them here.
8. Would you rather…lick someone else’s armpit after a marathon, or lick their foot after a marathon?
This is just nasty. I would choose the armpit if it were a nicely shaved pit with a thick layer of deodorant then maybe I’d only be licking deodorant which is gross too, but a little less gross than armpit. Otherwise I’d go with the foot. Yuck either way!
And now a question for anyone who reads this. Would you rather live in Massachusetts or Arizona?