I woke up to this view yesterday morning.
A Room with a View
My husband, son and I enjoyed a long weekend in the Bahamas. We returned late last night just in time for me to shower, change and get to work for 11pm. It was well worth it though. We had a relaxing, fun filled, much deserved break. A post is in the works, but as I get back in the swing of things I am grateful for Friend Makin’ Monday today.
If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: www.alltheweigh.com so everyone can see your FMM questions. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!
Inside Your Home
1. Do you live in an apartment/condo, townhouse or house? I live in a modest 1920s three bedroom colonial.
2. What is your home’s coolest feature? I would have to say the beautiful hardwood floors as well as the wood burning stove in our dining room.
Wood burning stove and hardwood floors in the dining room
I can tell you its coolest feature is definitely not that ceiling fan visible in the first photo. Uggghhh! The thing doesn’t even work.
3. Do you enjoy DIY projects? If so, what are you working on now?
I would love to channel my inner Young House Love
(I adore YHL!), but truth be told, I have zero creativity. However, I never say never. One of these days I might just get my DIY on and create something fabulous or even just something mediocre. That would be better than where I’m starting from.
4. When using the dishwasher do you use powder detergent or liquid? Get ready for it…my home does not have a dishwasher. We do the dishes the old fashioned way and use whatever liquid dish soap is on sale.
5. Do you have a TV in your bedroom? We own one TV and it’s in the living room. From my teen years through my early 20s I always had a TV in my bedroom. I didn’t realize how poorly I slept until I lived in Mozambique and had no television at all. My husband grew up without TV and has never pushed to have one in our bedroom.
6. Is your range gas or electric? It’s a gas stove which I enjoy much more than electric.
7. How often do you sweep/mop/vacuum? I’m obsessed with my Bissell FeatherWeight Vacuum. It lives plugged in, in the bathroom because I hate hair on the bathroom floor and I seem to lose hair like crazy. So I zip that thing around the bathroom about 10 times a day. It is so light and easy to use on our hardwood floors that I tend to do a quick vacuum around the entire house daily.
I also have a larger vacuum that I can use on the carpet on the front porch and our area rug in the dining room. I break that baby out about 3 times/week. I never sweep my house. I loathe mopping, but I do the kitchen and bathroom once a week and the rest of the floors once a month or as needed.
8. What is your favorite place to shop for home furniture and accents? In my dream world it is Pottery Barn. I have yet to embark on a journey to the mecca of Ikea. The closest one is about 90 minutes away. I like Target and Crate & Barrel too. Honestly though I can’t remember the last time I bought anything for the house.
9. Do you decorate for holidays? Yes, only it looks more KMart than Martha Stewart so I tend to go easy with the decorations.
10. If you could have HGTV come in and redo one room in your home which room would you choose? My kitchen please!
Outdated kitchen – HELP!
We had big plans this year to either renovate the kitchen or bathroom, but other things needed to be attended to like replacing pipes and removing trees whose roots had attacked and burrowed through the aforementioned pipes creating a nasty recurrent plumbing issue.
Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions. Don’t forget to visit Kenlie’s blog
and link up in the comments!
First of all, so jealous of your Bahama getaway – I hope you have a fantastic time.
I love hardwood floors (I have bamboo), and I’m in the market for a new electric sweeper, so I’m going to look into that Bissell. I have an Electrolux cordless right now, but it seems like the battery has died. No “juice” for more than a few minutes.
Thanks Bella. We had a great time on our vacation. I love my little Bissell. I whisk it around all over my house. It’s so light and easy to take around.
Your home looks awesome, I love the wood burning stove in your dining room! Can’t wait to hear about your trip 🙂 AND I love the new look of your blog!
Thanks Jane. The stove makes the room very cozy. Oh and thank you about the blog. I am still learning my way around the design features, but I was due for a bit of a change.
Jealous of your hard woods! We have a wood burning stove – we have a modest 1200 sf house, and in the winter we can heat the mail floor with it. We had three huge trees cut down one summer and we split wood (holy shit was that hard!) and had wood for 2 years – our first gas bill with the stove? $16! One of us would get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and stoke it – we are out of wood now, I need to see how much wood costs!
Hooray for your getaway!!
We do not use our wood stove nearly enough Biz. We have wood stacked in the backyard, but I’m not sure how long it would last. Last winter was so mild. I am hoping to use the stove more this year if the weather is cold. A $16 gas bill is amazing!!
Love that you added pictures, beautiful home! And can’t wait to hear about your trip to the Bahamas, what an amazing getaway!
I wish we could teleport to a coffee shop when you return from your trip so we could trade travel stories. The Bahamas was lovely, relaxing and so fun for Carlos.
Pingback: An Accidental McMuff « My Bizzy Kitchen
Aimee…I love hardwood floors too and you are so lucky to have a wood burning stove…SO COZY!! As you know, we just replaced all of our appliances and now have a working dishwasher, but can you believe it, I STILL do dishes by hand…there is something comforting about the warm water and soap, the silence to think, and the satisfaction of clean dishes! It looks like your home is beautiful, even if you think some of it is outdated. Can’t wait to hear about your trip…that view is stunning!!!!!! Colleen told me that you had less than an hour when you got back to get to work…crazy!
I also find washing dishes very soothing. Neither my husband nor I mind washing them. We know that when we renovate the kitchen we probably need to install a dishwasher for resale purposes, but I doubt it will get much use.
Oh I do love my house. It’s quaint and charming. The location is not very desirable, on a busy corner, but it has a very homey comfortable feel to it inside.
Kaye, it’s true. We rolled into our driveway at 10pm. I showered and made it to work early as usual. I really make the most of my weekends off because I do the wages without benefits and don’t get paid if I take time off. I’m notorious for traveling home on my Sunday night on.
What a beautiful, warm home!