I tried to stay up to get this post up for Friend Makin’ Mondays, but after a busy weekend with a friend visiting, soccer games and work Saturday and Sunday nights, by 9pm when I finally settled down into bed with my laptop I had been awake for 23 hours and my eyes closed within a few minutes. I’m not going to post this to Kenlie’s blog because we are well into Tuesday by now. However, I really enjoyed reading everyone’s answers and hopefully you will enjoy mine too. If you have never taken part in Friend Makin’ Mondays check it out and join in next week.
1. Three of your favorite movies:
- Notting Hill (kind of an inside thing between Orlando and I)
- Miracle on 34th Street
2. Three of your favorite things to drink:
- water (I drink it more than anything else)
- tea (right now I’m on a Twinings Chai tea kick)
- spinach smoothies (I am telling the truth. I really do love them!)
3. Three of your favorite songs:
At this very moment my 3 favorite songs are:
- The Other Side by Bruno Mars featuring Cee Lo Green
- Bailando por el Mundo by Juan Magan (featuring Pitbull & El Cata)…Love me some Pitbull. I just can’t help myself.
- Pound the Alarm by Nicki Minaj
My music tastes change like the wind though. These are fun running songs which is mostly what I listen to right now.
4. Three people who have recently been a positive influence on your life (outside of your family):
This is a really tough question. Sadly I am around a lot of negativity especially at work. I try to lead by example and be a positive force amidst all the negativity. The positive influences on my life are always my son and my husband. I find that I am the most positive influence on my life.
- My friend Kerry who also runs. She is one of the only people I can really talk to about running and races. She is super speedy but always very encouraging to me.
- Arthur Boorman, the man who was told he would never walk again, but through yoga and incredible determination he is not only walking but running. If you haven’t seen the video check it out here.
- The blogs I read are a also a positive influence. I am inspired and motivated constantly by the amazing things people are doing to improve their health and levels of fitness.
5. Three things you to do keep yourself entertained:
- I have a 5 year old so I’m always entertained.
- Reading books, blogs and recipe websites
- Do something active like go for a walk or a hike.
6. Three things you’re attracted to in the opposite sex:
- I’m attracted to my husband’s body (yes I am!!), his beautiful teeth that never saw a dentist until he moved to the U.S. and his charming smile.
7. Three things you love about yourself:
- I am very loyal.
- I have nice shoulders (random I know).
- – I have a very strong work ethic.
8. The last three people who text messaged you:
- My friend Nancy. Our sons are in school together. We were planning a coffee and chat session for tomorrow morning before the school carnival.
- My Dad’s girlfriend, also Nancy, texted to confirm dates so I could book airline tickets for Carlos and I to visit them in Florida in July.
- My friend and former Peace Corps site mate Amelia. I miss her even though I just saw her and her beautiful baby boy a few weeks ago when we were in Vermont.
9. Three things you’re looking forward to this week:
- I’m in the midst of 3 nights off and it is rainy and relaxing so far.
- A manicure (hopefully)
10. Three wishes specifically for yourself…What are they? (Be selfish, and be honest.)
- That my son grows up healthy, happy and successful
- That I live long enough to meet my grandchildren and have all my wits about me as well as continued good health.
- That my husband and I grow old together and retire to our beach property in Mozambique (it’s just a plot of land with a cement wall right now, but someday there will be a house overlooking a beautiful lagoon.)
11. Three of your favorite quotes:
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” Nelson Mandela
- “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
12. Three of your biggest fears:
- death scares me
- that I will always struggle with emotional eating and extra weight
- I fear financial distress from forces outside of my control like an injury that keeps me out of work or identity theft.
13. Three of your favorite TV shows:
- How I Met Your Mother
- The Amazing Race (though I missed the last season. I’ll catch up online)
- House Hunters International
14. Three of your favorite things to purchase when you’re shopping.
- food (I love to grocery shop, no surprise there!)
- beauty products
15. Three things that you enjoyed last week:
- Watching my son’s soccer games. He scored a goal which was exciting.
- A visit from a Peace Corps friend we haven’t seen in about a year.
- A pedicure…finally!
16. Three things that you always have in your bag or close to you if you’re not a purse kind of person.
- a Fruitable juice box or two for the little guy
- minty gum
17. Three types of food that you wouldn’t want to give up.
- Peanut butter
- Peanut butter
- Various other nut butters
OK fine I wouldn’t want to give up Mexican food, fruit or dark chocolate.
18. Three things you do to enjoy burning calories:
19. Three things you dislike about blogging:
- I find it difficult to strike a balance between keeping the blog about running and making it more personal.
- It is sometimes disappointing that it will probably always be behind the screen. Does that make sense? Probably not. I often read a blog and I think “that person would totally be my friend in real life.”
- There are some aspects of blogging that remind me of high school. I once disagreed with a blogger in a very nonthreatening comment and I was berated by the rest of her “followers.” There seems to be a lot of ass kissing.
20. Three ways blogging has changed your life:
- I really love the encouragement and motivation that comes from those who stop by and comment, especially the people who do it regularly.
- I have become less camera shy. I’m not so ashamed to show myself in pictures anymore.
- By documenting my fitness journey I have been able to look back and see how far I’ve come. In many ways it pushes me to keep going further.