The topic of Friend Makin’ Mondays this week is one of my favorites – Books. I have always been an avid reader from the time I was young. Then I went to nursing school and I was consumed into the world of text books. Shortly after I graduated and started working as a nurse I had my son. Reading anything other than a short article was impossible until the last couple of years. I am so happy to be enjoying one of my favorite pastimes again.
If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: www.alltheweigh.com so everyone can see your FMM questions and answers. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!
- How often do you read for pleasure? I always have a book in progress. I try to read a little of my book each day, but that doesn’t always happen. However, if you count blogs and magazines then I read daily for pleasure.
- Are you currently reading a book? If so, which one? I am in the midst of The China Study and I just started re-reading The Hunger Games because I am going to see the movie next week on opening night.
- Do you subscribe to any magazines and/or newspapers? If so, which ones? Apparently I subscribe to Better Homes and Gardens. I don’t remember subscribing, but I receive the magazine regularly.
- Do you prefer reading traditional books or using an e-reader? I am a bit old fashioned when it comes to books. I love the feel of a book, the cover art, turning the pages. I’ve always been enamored with libraries and book stores. However, I do have the Kindle App and iBooks on my iPhone. I am currently reading The China Study on my Kindle App. I love the convenience of the e-reader especially when I am in a long line, traveling or have to wait a while for something. Eventually I would love an iPad.
- How often do you go to the bookstore? Sadly, almost never. We do go to the library about once a week though. My son just got his own library card which was a very proud day for both of us.
- Do you read at the gym? No not really. Occasionally I will read while on the Arc Trainer but that seems to be the only machine I can have an effective workout while reading.
- Have you ever been a member of a book club? No I have never been in a book club. I would love to be in one, but I don’t know of any.
- Do you wear glasses when you read? No only for driving.
- Has anyone read the Hunger Games? If so, would you recommend it? Yes I have read it and as I mentioned I am re-reading it. My co-worker introduced me to the Hunger Games series. We both read the books very quickly. The Hunger Games itself is by far the best of the series. I would recommend it, though by now I think it has become one of those books that people love to criticize because it has gained so much notoriety. I am aware that it is considered Young Adult literature. I am open to reading all kinds of books. I love a good history book. I soak up a good romance. I can get caught up in a murder mystery. The Hunger Games is a quick read and doesn’t strain the brain by any stretch of the imagination, but it is fast paced and the characters have a way of grabbing hold of you. I love to escape in a book and this was that kind of book.
- What is your favorite thing about reading? Reading takes me all over the world without leaving home, it takes me into the past, present and future and gives me the power to learn about anything I wish. I feel very fortunate to have the ability to read.
With that said I’m off to read a few pages before falling asleep. Happy reading and hope you are having a wonderful Monday! It’s like early summer here in Western Massachusetts.