1. We had two parties to go to this weekend and it was my weekend to work so I didn’t have a lot of time to get creative. There are two go to salads that I’m able to whip up fairly quickly for a party or get together. The first is one of my own concoctions. It’s simple, light and really quick and easy to make.
Broccoli Slaw Salad
1 bag of broccoli slaw
half a cup of Craisins
1/3 cup of crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup of slivered almonds
mix with about 1/2 cup Poppy Seed dressing (any kind will do)
-The measurements are estimates. I never actually measure. I just eyeball it because it’s really up to what I have on hand. I’ve also added matchstick sliced apples or pears, peanuts instead of almonds and I’ve used a lemon vinaigrette dressing rather than poppy seed dressing though I prefer the poppy seed.
The other is Southwestern Black Bean Salad compliments of Gina at Skinnytaste. If you have never visited this website please do. It is a treasure chest of recipes complete with Weight Watcher points and nutritional stats not to mention the gorgeous photos that accompany each recipe. I get rave reviews every time I bring this salad somewhere and I am always asked to provide the recipe.
2. My favorite facial cleanser is Checks and Balances by Origins. I try to be economical and at $15 this product seems a little pricy to me. I didn’t buy it again after I ran out last time and I have missed it ever since. My face just doesn’t feel as squeaky clean with the other cleansers I tried. I received an email from Origins offering free shipping and 20% off so I ordered the cleanser. I’m so happy to have it back. Now I will say this stuff lasts forever and I probably only go through 2 tubes a year. I think my face is worthy of $30 a year!
3. Mother Nature has been ridiculously awesome this December. I never imagined I would still be running outdoors at this point, but I am taking full advantage of the clear weather.
4. I haven’t even started Christmas shopping unless you count the fact that I have Amazon.com open in another tab on my browser and I have three things in my cart. This month is going by way too fast.
5. My baby is going to be 5 years old on Saturday. He was born on my sister’s birthday. For years she has been trying to convince us how horrible it is to have a December birthday especially one a week away from Christmas. I believe it now and ironically Scary Mommy did a fantastically funny post about this topic. She would like to declare March National Abstinence Month!
6. Only 23 days until the Disney Marathon! I received my bib number. It is 8503. It’s starting to feel real! And speaking of the marathon…I will be back tomorrow will a recap of my training last week. It was a great week.
Aimee…that broccoli salad sounds really good…can’t wait to try it…I do make something similar to the black bean salad…I just made up the recipe in my head and those flavors are always really good together. I’m with you in regards to the Christmas shopping…I started really good…bought a few things, but now have all the little things left to buy and of course hardly any time to do it!
I can’t believe that you will be running a marathon in 23 days. Is there a way to follow your progress online during the marathon?
Good luck getting everything done this month.
I think there is a a way to track me during the marathon. I will look into that this week and post about it. Thanks for reminding me!
I’m just about finished with my shopping now. I hope you are too. When will I ever learn to get this business done before Thanksgiving?
Hi Aimee! Did I ever tell you how I love the meaning of your name, “friend,” and I always think that when I see it?!
As I have gotten older (our age), I have come to the conclusion that it is cheaper to spend money on moisturizers than suffer the actual consequences of loss of skin integrity. Case in point: I got athlete’s foot on my elbows from disgusting gym mats and also due to loss of skin integrity on my elbows. Yes, I had been ultra cheap on my lotions last year ($15) and so I ended up having to buy a lot of Tinactin ($ 25), which is more expensive than buying 4 body butters (enough to liberally apply all winter and keep healthy elbow skin) and a fruity spray at Victoria’s Secret ($35). Plus, the humiliation of gross elbows. I learned my lesson, and that should make you feel better to throw out the money now instead of regretting it later.
That is incredibly tremendously exciting about getting the bib in the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is already being a life-changing project for you. I can’t wait to see what you have to say about it.
Your son is growing up so fast. It seems like a blur, doesn’t it? I think, with my 4 kids, I didn’t slow down the same way as you do to absorb the precious moments. That’s a good thing you do.
Thanks Marion. I’ve always liked my name especially the different spelling of it and the meaning.
Oh my goodness from birth to 5 went by in a flash. I do try really hard to savor as many moments as I can. Sometimes when I’m busy busy with little things I have to remind myself that they will get done eventually, but before I know it Carlos will be grown and off on his own.
The broccoli slaw looks great. Anything with goat cheese, count me in. My baby just turned 5 in October. Fun age, he is so into Christmas this year. I have a December birthday but lucky for me it is at the beginning and usually got run into Thanksgiving and not Christmas.
Goat cheese is one of the reasons I can’t quite eat a vegan diet! I agree about Christmas. This is the first year that my son has been really involved in things. I felt so much better buying gifts that he actually “claims” he wants and will play with. He’s also learning more about the meaning of Christmas which is always nice.